Last month, the CRTC issued the annual “Communications Monitoring Report” (the “Report”). This Report primarily contains statistics on the relationship Canadians have with communications products and services. This includes, TV, Radio and Telephone (both mobile and land line).
The Report outlines many points we believe may be of interest to our customers:
- The vast majority of mobile users are on post-paid services. At Walco we sell pre-paid cards and administer postpaid contracts (where customers are billed monthly). Moreover, pre-paid services continue to decline in popularity, while post-paid services grow.
- Roaming charges are chiefly accrued in the USA. Specifically, 54% of data usage, and 73% of voice roaming.
- 54% of postpaid consumers have contracts of over 2 years. This of course will change as old contracts expire and renewals are completed under the Wireless code.
- Canadians sent 531 million text messages each day, for a total of 194 billion text messages last year.
- Market share of service providers was divided as follows: Rogers 34%, Telus 28%, Bell 28%, Other 5%, and New Entrants 5%. 
- At present only 11% of handheld devices in use by British Colombians are considered Advanced Devices (i.e. a device which supports text, internet, email and video.) BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec have the highest number of Advanced Devices.
- Pricing for Canadian wireless services ranged greatly and did not fall much outside the norm for international standards. Pricing for ‘average use’ cellular contracts is roughly 4$ more per month than the next country. However, pricing for ‘low use’ cellular contracts is 5$ less than the highest priced country.
As can be seen, the mobile world is changing very quickly. More people are moving to ‘advanced devices’ and as a result using more data features. More people are committing to contracts instead of using ‘pay as you go’ devices. Text messaging is becoming more and more prevalent as a preferred form of communication.
On a global scale, Canadians are quite similar to other countries in terms of their appetites for mobile communications. Furthermore, Canadians are primarily served by the ‘big three’ and obtain pricing within reasonable range to other nations.
At Walco, we are excited to be a part of a growing and changing industry!
The report can be found at: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/PolicyMonitoring/2014/cmr.htm.
 Report, page 210.
 Report, page 211.
 Report, page 212.
 Report, page 213.
 Report, page 285.